How to: Transfer Inventory Between Locations
This blog post first appeared here
You can transfer inventory items between locations by creating transfer orders. Alternatively, you can use the item reclassification journal.
With transfer orders, you ship the outbound transfer from one location and receive the inbound transfer at the other location. This allows you to manage the involved warehouse activities and provides more certainty that inventory quantities are updated correctly.
With the reclassification journal, you simply fill in the Location Code and the New Location Code fields. When you post the journal, the item ledger entries are adjusted at the locations in question. With this method, warehouse activities are not managed.
Note: If you have items recorded in your inventory without a location code, for example from a time when you only had one warehouse, then you must use the reclassification journal to reclassify the items from a blank location code to an actual location code. For more information, see step 3 in the "To transfer items with the item reclassification journal" section.
To transfer items, locations and transfer routes must be set up. For more information, see How to: Set Up Locations.
Note: This functionality requires that your experience is set to Suite. For more information, see Customizing Your Financials Experience.
To transfer items with a transfer order
1. In the top right corner, choose the Search for Page or Report icon, enter Transfer orders, and then choose the related link.
2. In the Transfer Order window, fill in the fields as necessary. Choose a field to read a short description of the field or link to more information.
Note: If you have filled in the In-Transit Code, Shipping Agent Code, and Shipping Agent Service fields in the Trans. Route Spec. windows when you set up the transfer route, then the corresponding fields on the transfer order are filled in automatically.
When you fill in the Shipping Agent Service field, the receipt date at the transfer-to location is calculated by adding the shipping time of the shipping agent service to the shipment date.
As a warehouse worker at the transfer-from location, proceed to ship the items.
3. Choose the Post action, choose the Ship option, and then choose the OK button.
The items are now in transit between the specified locations, according to the specifies transfer route.
As a warehouse worker at the transfer-from location, proceed to receive the items.
4. Choose the Post action, choose the Receive option, and then choose the OK button.
To Transfer items with the item reclassification journal
1. In the top right corner, choose the Search for Page or Report icon, enter Item Reclass. Journals, and then choose the related link.
2. In the Item Reclass. Journal window, fill in the fields as necessary. Choose a field to read a short description of the field or link to more information.
3. In the Location Code field, enter the location where the items are currently stored.
Note: To transfer items that have no location code, leave the Location Code field blank.
4. In the New Location Code field, enter the location that you want to transfer the items to.
5. Choose the Post action.
Are you looking for Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Financials support and training? Take a look at our Online Dynamics 365 University at www.dynamics365university.com